Tuesday 10 March 2015

Data Bending


"Data bending is the process of manipulating information from within a media file of a certain format, using software designed to edit files of another format. Distortions in the medium typically occur as a result, and the process either falls under a broader category of, or is frequently employed in glitch art."
(Wikipedia definition)

Sabato Visconti 


  • Creates 'glitch art' by taking one image and distorting it in many different ways, thus creating variations of the same picture
  • I like that in the above image you can still see the original photograph but with the glitch effect only applied in certain areas
  • http://www.sabatobox.com/jules-in-june#5


Heitor Magno


  • Also created glitch art by using layers on photoshop to replace certain parts of the original picture


In class we experimented with using text files to data bend an image. When changing the order of large amounts of html it changes factors such as the colours and composition. I found the randomness frustrating at times as I wished I could have more control over which effects were changed (although this would require a highly advanced knowledge of html coding). However I think that some of the images still came out quite difficult. From doing this exercise I've learned that I quite like the use of muted tones in images which give a kind of vintage effect. I would like to find a way to achieve this effect with Photoshop if possible. Also I think the random combination of the glitches could be used in some of my final project as well.



The picture above was my favourite of all the experiments. I like that it created varying shades of blue with hints of pink and purple. This makes it look like a combination of images taken at different times of the day.

I found it interesting that this image was distorted in a way that changed the composition. I also think that it's interesting that it created neon shades of green and red.
Not much was changed in this image except for the bottom of the picture which has a very dark grungy effect. I think that that effect emphasised the texture in the image.
This image was divided into three sections. The top third remained normal. The second section has a slightly paler tone with a slightly red tint in it. The bottom turned much darker.


This picture connotes a spooky atmosphere like something out of a horror movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment