Wednesday 25 March 2015

Inspiration: Tom Bovo

New York Streets 2
New York Streets
Watching

Tom Bovo is a New York based photographer that has been active since 1985. His work has been featured in many exhibitions in Brooklyn. He studied painting and printmaking at Columbia University. His influences include abstract expressionist painters, but also photographers such as Eadweard Muybridge, Andre Kertesz, and Diane Arbus.

"My images are not accidents—the camera does not reveal things that do not exist, but can reveal the things we filter out when looking directly at them."

Bovo defends his authorship by explaining that his photographs are a reflection of his own perspectives. This is useful for my topic, since I will be taking pictures of shop windows too, but I will make sure to include specific details of things that I believe will engage the audience.


In the image above the manequin is denoted in the centre of the image, making her appear to be the focus. The store would have used the mannequin to set an ideal standard for the customers; it appears to be quite thin, with glamorous hair and makeup. Bovo goes beyond the typical perspective of the shop window and places the mannequin within the New York setting by using the reflection of the window.

I think with my own photography I would like to include more than just the window display but also the people and buildings in the surroundings.


Sources:
http://www.440gallery.com/Artist-Tom-Bovo
http://www.tombovo.com/bio.php

No comments:

Post a Comment